Chester Railway Station was designed by the railway architect Francis Thompson, C.H Wild and, of course, some commanding involvement by the great civil engineer, Robert Stephenson.
The station was built in 1847/8 using Staffordshire blue brick and pale grey Storeton sandstone. Like many buildings of the period, it was Italianate in its style – recognisable by its shallow pitched roofs with eaves, supported on brackets with pairs of round-headed windows.
This is a truly remarkable building, and on 31 July 1970, Chester Railway Station was rewarded with the rare [there are only 22 listed railway stations in England] status as an English Heritage Grade II listed building.
165 years after construction, Chester Railway Station is now enjoying £10m of regeneration work that will secure its history and beauty for many more generations to come, and with our team proudly refurbishing many original round headed sash windows, manufacturing replica box sash windows, door frames and doors we played our own little part in the history and heritage of this beautiful railway station building.
For today’s passengers alighting and departing, it will be almost the same pleasure as it was in 1847, with the only exception of having no steam train of the day catch!